Wednesday 13 March 2013

Oh this is my first EVER blog so I'm excited and a little unsure what to do!


Well firstly, let me introduce myself.  I live in London, UK  with my two adorable cats one black moggie and a crazy little Russian blue with a splash of Persian (she has her mother's Persian colour eyes). My interests include  music (especially rock), dance (formerly trained in Contemporary dance and currently learning swing/lindy hop),  film -  I am a great fan of the old musicals and classic black and white movies of the 30's and 40's ( I shall be talking about that more later!),  vintage clothing and accessories (30s-40s) of which I shall  also be blogging about later of my lovely collection,  spitfires and vintage cars, going to the theatre -  I don’t go so much as I would like , cooking vegan dishes, crocheting, reading ( I am currently reading Vivien, an autobiography on Vivien Leigh) and now blogging to add!!


I chose my name after one of my favourite films as a child, one that was to influence me and my love of dance and glamour. ‘ Ziegfeld Girl’  is a 1941 American film starring Lana Turner, Hedy Lamarr, Judy Garland and James Stewart and directed by Robert Z. Leonard and featured musical numbers by Busby Berkeley. It tells the stories of three women who become performers in the Broadway Show the Ziegfeld Follies.
                                 

If you haven't seen it and you love vintage glamour, music and dance then you really must!

Lana Turner and Judy Garland taking a break from filming of Ziegfeld Girl.

Lana in Ziegfeld Girl

Lana with the lovely Jimmy Stewart in a scene from Ziegfeld Girl.

Still from Ziegfeld girls with Lana in a stage outfit for one of the musical numbers.
Full length still of her outfit.




Hedy Lamarr in Ziegfeld Girl.

                                        
What a wonderful cast and I could watch that movie over and over again – and have!!

I am very excited as I just received a beautiful autographed photo of the stunning Hedy Lamarr from 1947 and am waiting on a lovely one signed by Lana Turner to arrive, both to add to my growing collection of signed autographs from my favourite stars. Both will be displayed with pride.


I also love Ziegfeld Follies, Ziegfeld Follies (MGM) a 1946 Hollywood musical comedy film. It stars many of MGM leading talents, including Fred Astaire, Lucille Ball, Lucille Bremer, Fanny Brice (the only member of the ensemble that was a star of the original Follies), Judy Garland, Kathryn Grayson, Lena Horne, Gene Kelly,  William Powell, Esther Williams and Cyd Charisse. The film is composed of a sequence of unrelated lavish musical numbers and comedy sketches.  One of my favourites sequences from the film the number ‘Here’s to the girls’ which includes a short solo dance by Cyd Charisse.




Even from a very small child I would sit mesmerised by these wonderful musical movies, dreaming to be like those beautiful and glamorous ladies of the silver screen, to dance like Cyd Charisse and sing like Kathryn Grayson…. Oh those dreams!!

That glamour of the 30’s and 40’s has stayed with me and I am really happy that there are so many outlets available to indulge those vintage desires whether it be dress, accessories for the home, to dance to the music of those wonderful eras or watch the many wonderful period dramas that are now being produced.

Well that is if for this introduction blog, can’t wait to blog some more!

No comments:

Post a Comment